The Chop Chef Challenge is a cooking competition open to people under the age of 16. Participants select a recipe and complete it in 30 minutes at our kitchen. Cooking will be recorded and judged for appearance and taste. The videos will be shared with the community to vote for their favorite. Register Now!
We are happy to announce our first cooking challenge! The Chop Chef Challenge will test your cooking ability as well as your demonstration skills. Here’s how it works:
Each participant will complete a recipe in 30 minutes while being video recorded by library staff. Using a scale of 1 to 10, judges will rate the dish on presentation and taste and the participant’s confidence and culinary skills. All 4 ratings will be combined for an overall score. The same judges will participate in each demonstration. The number of judges is TBD but it will be a maximum of 3.
Library staff will edit the video down to 15 minutes then post each of the videos to the library website. Community members can view each video and vote for their favorite by visiting the library (one vote per person).
Three prizes will be awarded:
- Judges Favorite (based on each participant’s overall score)
- Fan Favorite (based on community member voting)
- Random drawing (based on one entry per participant)
- Select a recipe of your choice. You must be able to complete the recipe in 30 minutes.
- Schedule a video recording appointment using the registration form above or by calling Sue at the library. Each appointment will be for a total of 60 minutes to give time for prep, pauses, and cleanup.
- Before your appointment, gather the ingredients for your recipe and any dishes and tools NOT available at the library (see list below).
- Upon arrival, you will have 15 minutes to get set up including pre-measuring your ingredients.
- When ready, the video recording will begin. Recording will be paused upon request, but only 30 minutes of “cook time” is allowed.
- Plate and serve your dish to the judges.
- Each judge will provide verbal feedback as they view and taste your dish. Their official score will be kept confidential until the end of the challenge.
- This challenge is limited to a total of 6 participants.
- All participants must be under the age of 16.
- All recipes must be prepared by one person, helpers are not allowed.
- Registration ends Friday, May 6.
- Videos are posted and voting begins by Friday, May 27.
- Voting ends by Friday, June 3.
- Winners announced by Friday, June 10.
The challenge will take place at the Newfield History and Activity Center. Besides appliances like a refrigerator, sink, and stove, the following tools are available at the library:
- Mixer, blender, cookie sheets, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons
- Utensils excluding knives. Participants should bring their own parent-approved knife.
No deep frying is allowed.
Dates for chefs:
Thursday, April 28
Monday, May 2
Thursday, May 5
Monday, May 9
Thursday, May 12
Monday, May 16
Thursday, May 19